Many people are searching for an answer to the question: How to connect Xbox 360 controller to PC without receiver? Because their wireless Xbox 360 controllers are great to use with their Microsoft consoles, but they are not quite compatible with PCs.
Wireless controllers are becoming very popular because of their convenience, but most PC owners are still awaiting compatibility. Whether you’re playing on a laptop at Starbucks or home on your computer, the Xbox 360 controller has proved to be one of the most versatile gamepads on the market. This simple guide will answer everything about this topic.
How To Pair Xbox 360 Controller To PC Without Receiver
1. It Is Possible To Connect Via Wires
The wired option allows you to connect your Xbox and your computer easily. It is easy to set up your Xbox.
Find the USB port on your computer first. Next, insert your controller into that port.
The next step will be automated. Your PC will automatically recognize the controller and begin downloading the appropriate drivers. Your PC will indicate the success of the connection.
You can now play the games with your Xbox 360 controller.
2. Microsoft Xbox Package Available For Purchase
This is a complex process that requires many accessories. It is also quite expensive. This option is recommended if you don’t have an Xbox.
Xbox Package for Windows. It includes all accessories and is compatible with each version of Windows. This package is not like traditional controllers. It can be connected wirelessly to your computer.
If you are looking for a hassle-free setup, you can buy the bundle.
If you have an Xbox, you might be hesitant to purchase a new one. You can sell your old Xbox.
3. Buy An Adaptor
An adaptor/receiver is another option to connect your wireless Xbox with your computer. Microsoft adaptors are included in the Xbox package. They are not separately available.
You will need to purchase from another company. However, make sure to do your research about the quality. They are copies of original Microsoft adapters. Although the quality is not as good, it’s still very usable.
It would help if you were cautious when purchasing an adapter from third parties. An alternative option is to buy an old Xbox adapter.
Connecting Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver With Your PC
Different Windows versions will require different steps to install Xbox 360 wireless on a PC. The process is easy. We will now show you how to install the device.
Xbox 360 Receiver for Windows 8 and 10.
Xbox 360 controller on windows 8 and 10 are easy to install.
Plug the Xbox receiver into your computer. It will detect your device immediately. It will automatically detect your device and perform all functions. You can relax and wait.
The relevant drivers will be automatically downloaded to your computer. After the installation is complete, you can begin playing.
You can verify the connection’s success by following these simple steps.
- Navigate to the Start Menu
- In the search box, type “Device Manager”
- The ‘Xbox 360 receiver is for Windows’ will be displayed.
This indicates that the Xbox receiver has been successfully installed on your computer.
2. Microsoft Xbox 360 Receiver for Windows 7 or Lower
Windows 7 and below have a different installation processes. You must do the download manually, as it does not happen automatically.
- Connect the adaptor first to the gadget driver.
- Next, insert your USB drive.
- The wizard will appear on your screen. This will prompt you to enter your operating system.
- You can click on the automatic install button if your windows already contain relevant files. The installation process will continue, and it will be completed successfully.
- If your Windows does not have the files, you will need to take additional steps.
- The CD that comes with the Xbox package is an easy choice. Place the CD in CD ROM, and then download the drivers to your computer.
- Another option is to download the drivers from Microsoft directly. You can download the drivers by going to Microsoft’s official site.
Verify that the connection is working. You must confirm the connection is successful.
- Open ‘Device manager’ on your computer and check for drivers that are installed.
- You will see the command “pair controller to computer” if they have been installed.
- Click this to connect your Xbox controller to your computer.
Installing A Third-Party Xbox Receiver On Your PC
To install a third-party Xbox receiver, you will need to go through additional steps. Because you’re connecting a duplicate Xbox receiver to your computer, the process can be complicated. It is compatible with your computer and works well.
It is the same process for all versions of Windows. Follow the steps carefully.
1. Install The Xbox Drivers For Your Pc
- First, you need to install the drivers. These are the steps:
- Find the USB port on your computer and insert the adapter there
- Start by going to Windows Search Box and then go to Device Manager
- Click on the “Other Devices Sub-Category“
- Select the “Unknown Device” option and click “Update Driver Software”.
- This will open a pop-up window stating “Browse My Computer”, where you can choose it.
- Click the “Let’s me choose from a list” option.
- A complete list of devices will be displayed. Select “Xbox 360 peripherals”.
- A second list will display all models. You should choose the most recent one and click the “yes” button in order to begin the installation process.
2. Connect Your Xbox Wireless Controller To The PC
This step will allow you to synchronize your Xbox controller with your computer.
- Click the “pair” button on the receiver to connect the button with the controller.
- Next, press and hold the “guide button”, which is located on your controller.
- If the backlight turns green it means that your controller is connected and ready to go.
- The connection can also be verified. These are some simple guidelines to follow:
- Search for “game controller” in your computer’s search engine.
- Look for “Setup USB game controller”
Verify that it works. You can do this by using triggers, pads, or sticks.
The connection will be successful if each of your movements is detected. You are ready to start playing games with your controller.
How To Connect Xbox 360 To Internet Wireless? Best Things To Know 2022
How to Install an Individual Aftermarket Receiver
It takes multiple steps to install duplicate copies and can be more complex than the original method. It still works.
No matter what Windows version you are using, follow these steps to create a duplicate adaptor.
1. Install the driver
- Connect the piece to the USB port at the back of the computer.
- To open the Device Manager, use your Windows Search Bar.
- Expand the “Other Devices” category.
- Right-click “Unknown Device” to activate the “Update Driver Software” button
- You will be prompted to open a new window.
- Next, choose “Let’s pick from a set of device drivers”.
- Scroll down the list until you find “Xbox 360 Peripherals.”
- Click on the desired device, then click “Next”.
A list of models will be displayed, from which you can choose the most recent.
You will receive a warning to stop installing the driver. However, you can ignore it and click “YES”
2. Sync the Controller
- The receiver will be connected to the controller by pressing the “pair” button and the connect button at the top.
- Shortly thereafter, press the “Guide” button in the middle of your wireless controller.
- One of the backlights surrounding the Guide key will now turn green.
- Get started.
- Not unplug your receiver. Otherwise, you will have to do all of the above.
You can also print or bookmark this page to help you remember the steps and take notes.
3. Confirm You Did It Right
You can check the function of your controller by typing “game controllers” into the search bar at bottom of the screen and searching for “Setup USB game controllers.”
- To ensure that the application recognizes your movements, you can play with triggers, sticks, and pads.
- Push and roll each button until one of the circles appears in the window.
- Close the window if it is not working and you can enjoy your games.
How To Buy A Receiver
We mentioned that the best way to acquire a receiver is to purchase Microsoft’s official controller/receiver combination.
It will cost approximately 60 dollars and can be purchased online, at Amazon, or on the official website.
This option is not popular with many people because they already own a controller.
Here’s how it works: Purchase the entire pack and then sell the extras on eBay.
You won’t have to worry about buying an incompatible or invalid adapter and then having to buy another one.
You can also save money and get the most out of your investment.
Is selling items, not your forte? It’s easier, but riskier, to use the internet to search for someone who has already separated the bundle.
Gray market websites offering Microsoft receivers are always available.
These adaptors are typically very affordable at $15-20. You can’t guarantee that they are authentic or fake because you won’t receive them in sealed packaging.
These details will make your business more secure.
Look for options that include a driver disk and a manual.
Although you don’t necessarily require the support items, copywriters don’t usually waste their time or budget-making “fake CDs” and “fake booklets.”
These items are most likely being sold by someone selling an actual orphaned Microsoft receiver.
If they find out that the product is fake or not long-lasting, they will warn you to stay away from it. You can check to see if you have a refund option. Amazon Fulfilled Products are products you can buy.
It doesn’t guarantee that the item is original, but it ensures you can return it if not. Take a look at the photos.
First, ensure that the seller has the images of the item.
Next, examine its branding and compare it with original bundles.
It can be challenging to find reliable vendors to purchase isolated Microsoft adaptors.
You’re not ready to gamble.
Same adaptors can be your third option if you are willing to pay less for a first-class adapter.
These receivers are a remarkable bargain compared to Microsoft’s, at around 5 to 15 dollars.
They can be found in retail stores, off-the-shelf outlets, and online shops like Amazon.
While you may find decent devices, dongles that are not well-made can be challenging to install.
Above the central sync button, you will see labels like “PC Wireless Gaming Receiver”, or “X360”.
How To Tell If A Receiver Is Authentic Or Not?
An authentic Microsoft adapter will have the following text on the back: “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver For Windows” and the “Microsoft” branding on the front.
Fake dongles will make any additions or omissions. Stamps and prints of imitative clones often include “X360”, “PC Wireless Gaming Receiver,” and similar remarks.
Can My Phone Be Connected To My Xbox 360?
Xbox 360 owners can now control their consoles from their phones and tablets using the SmartGlass app. Soon, your smartphone or tablet can control and display movies and games from the Xbox 360. You can use your phone or tablet as a second screen for your Xbox 360.
Why Is My Xbox 360 Controller Not Connecting?
One of two possibilities could be the weak Xbox 360 Controller batteries or the Xbox 360 Rechargeable Batterie Pack needing to be recharged. Interference is caused by another wireless device such as a microwave oven or cordless phone. The console already has four controllers.
Why Won’t My Xbox 360 Controller Connect?
Flashing lights indicate that your batteries are low on juice. To keep the game playing, you’ll need to change the batteries in your Xbox 360 controller. Flip your wireless Xbox 360 controller so that the buttons face down and the battery pack faces up.
We’ve discussed how to pair Xbox 360 controller to PC without a receiver to your computer and gave you helpful tips on purchasing an Xbox adapter. We’ve also suggested a cheap but reliable Xbox 360 controller for your PC. Rezence hopes you found this article helpful and that you enjoy playing your Xbox games on your computer.