Wireless G is easier to use in cluttered networks and has a longer range. In this article, Rezence will compare the differences between them.
What Is A N router?
The N router, also known technically as 802.11n (or Wi-Fi 4), was created as an upgrade to the 802.11a/b/g standard of wireless routers. It is capable of achieving faster data rates than its predecessors thanks to the MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) technologies.
Unlike other router standards, it can support higher bandwidth by using multiple wireless signals and antennas. An N-standard router can deliver rate of data up to 600Mbps. It is versatile because it supports 802.11a/b/g standards.
An N router can operate on either the frequency band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. They can cover more than 175 feet of indoor ranges, thanks to their ability to operate on both 2.4 GHz frequency bands and 5 GHz frequency bands.
There are many types of N routers available. They can be configured to provide high-speed, uninterrupted gaming or just basic internet browsing.
Among the top N router manufacturers are Linksys and TP-Link, Netgear, Belkin, and Netgear.
There are a few such routers: Linksys EA4500N900 (for speed), TP-Link N450 TL–WR940N (for streaming), Netgear N600 WNDR3400 (for home network), and Belkin N600 (for gaming).
N routers are more expensive and not the best for streaming or normal internet connection. But their efficiency and performance will be well worth the money.
What Is A Wireless G Router?
Technically known as Wi-Fi 3 or 802.11g routers, G routers are older wireless networking standard router that includes the best of both 802.11a routers and 802.11b routers. They can transmit data at 54 Mbit/s. It also has to contend with interference if it is located near a router, cordless phones, or microwaves.
They have an indoor range of up to 150ft. The G router’s data rate and wireless range are lower than the N router’s.
Because they operate in one radio frequency band, i.e., The 2.4 GHz frequency band, a G router is a good choice if you don’t need high internet speeds or a slow ISP connection. They are also less expensive than N routers.
Wireless G is backward compatible with Wireless B devices. However, you don’t have a device that only supports Wireless B unless you do then this is a benefit.
TP-Link and Linksys are some of the top wireless G routers manufacturers. These routers include:
- D-Link DIR-842 – Although they are more expensive than wireless G, they offer more functionality.
- D-Link DIR-605L – This router is more affordable than most wireless G and offers more speed.
- ASUS Wireless RT-12- A second router that offers decent speeds and is well worth the price.
Wireless N Vs Wireless G Comparison
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers has established two standards for wireless N and G. The differences between the wireless router g vs n are their transmission speeds and compatibility with older 802.11 standards.
Technically, the N wireless router is also known as Wi-Fi 4 or 802.11n router, and the G router is also known as Wi-Fi 3 or 802.11g router.
Data Rate (Data Transmitted In One Second)
The data rate of N routers ranges between 54Mbit/s and 600Mbit/s. The maximum data rate for the G router is 54 Mbit/s. The maximum data rate of 54 megabits per second
Backward Compatibility (Operating Reciprocally With Older Versions)
N router is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g device because it can operate on both radio frequencies bands, while G router only supports 802.11b devices.
An N router can operate in either the frequency band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. G router works in the frequency band of 2.4Ghz.
Today’s best routers offer channel widths of both 20 MHz and 40 MHz. However, many older routers are limited to 20 MHz only. If you have a wireless n router, it’s best to use the 40 MHz channel width to get the best performance. But if you have a wireless g router, using the 40 MHz channel width may actually reduce your performance.
The maximum indoor range of the N router is over 175 feet. (More than the G standard – 150 feet)
Why You Should Upgrade To Wi-Fi 5 And Wi-Fi 6?
You are actually limiting the wireless capabilities of newer devices by retaining an older Wireless G or Wireless N router.
It may feel like catching fish with a stick using a Wireless G or N routers with an iPad. Although it may work, you will feel like you are back on dial-up.
Wireless connectivity has seen significant improvements thanks to the new wireless standards. The best part is that newer routers can be used with older devices.
This means you will always be able to connect to the internet from other devices.
Which Wireless Routers You Should Buy?
Why You Should Purchase a Wireless N Router?
- If you have multiple computers in your home, you may use high-bandwidth websites such as YouTube and Netflix quite often.
- Downloading large files frequently can lead to a large number of downloads.
- Wireless N is supported by newer entertainment systems like Xbox One and Playstation 4, when you play against others online.
Why You Should Purchase a Wireless G Router?
- If you have only one or two computers in your home.
- The majority of your internet usage will be used to check email, read news and blogs. It should be possible to view YouTube and Netflix videos on single device.
- If you have an older entertainment system such as Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Xbox 360 and you want to play against others online, these devices don’t support Wireless N devices. Unless you have the Xbox E that does support Wireless N.
Why You Should Purchase a Wireless AC Router?
Wireless AC is sometimes referred to as Gigabit WiFi. You should buy this wireless ac:
- If you live in a large home, your wireless router may not reach every room.
- You live in an area with a high population (e.g., apartment, mobile/modular park). Wireless AC routers will work because they are new technologies, and not many people will use the 5GHz band for their home networks.
- Your router will not be competing with other routers that use the same signal, which will provide a significant speed advantage. AC routers operate on the 5GHz band, while N routers use the 2.5GHz band.
- If you have entertainment systems like Xbox One or Playstation 4 that are playing against each other online and you want your other computers able to stream video simultaneously without taking too much performance hit.
Is Wireless N obsolete?
802.11b uses the same 2.4 GHz frequency that the original 802.11 standards. It could transmit at a maximum theoretical rate speed of 11 Mbps, and it had a range of up to 150 feet. Routers that support only 802.11n today are no longer available.
Is 2.4GHz G Or N?
Nearly all modern tablets, laptops, and smartphones support this Wi-Fi standard. Standard ‘n, which has a higher signal range, provides better signal strength than other standards. Although it can transmit at 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, signal interference is more common.
What Is The Speed Of N Wi-Fi?
A Wi-Fi 802.11n network connection can support up to 300Mbps of theoretical bandwidth in the best case. An 802.11n connection can sometimes operate at speeds ranging of 150 Mbps or less.
Which WiFi Mode Is The Fastest?
802.11ac is the best choice for those who want faster Wi-Fi speeds. 802.11ac refers to a supercharged 802.11n. 802.11ac delivers speeds up to several gigabits per sec, which is many times faster than 802.11n.
Do People Still Use Wireless-N?
Wireless-N, also known as Wi-Fi 4, was developed to increase network max throughput (maximum transmission and transfer capabilities) over the previous standards-802.11b or 802.11g.
Wireless-N was a major upgrade to Wireless-G because of the following:
- Maximum data transmission speed increased from 54Mbps to as high as 900Mbps
- Broadband capabilities up to 40 Mhz
- Increased security, stability, and range
These features were an upgrade to Wireless-G, but Wireless-N has been mostly phased out. New routers and wireless standards support Wireless-N, as well as older wireless standards.
Technology is constantly evolving. We can learn to keep up with it and grow along with it. Each upgrade to their standard makes routers stronger in terms of bandwidth and speed. The N router is an upgrade to the G router and is faster and more efficient than the other. It was more expensive, but it is well worth the cost.
We hope you found this helpful article and could help you make the right decision.